Hawthorn liqueur turns out to be soft, sweet and sour in taste with a characteristic aroma of fruits. If desired, the drink can be supplemented with notes of citrus, prunes, raisins and vanilla.
Fresh, dried or dried red hawthorn berries are required. The fruits should be ripe, without rot and mold. As an alcoholic base, vodka, ethyl alcohol diluted with water, moonshine or cognac will be suitable. In the latter case, the drink will have light tannic notes of aging, which go well with hawthorn.
- hawthorn berries – 100 grams fresh or 30-50 grams dried;
- vodka (alcohol 40-45%, moonshine, cognac) – 0.5 liters;
- pitted prunes – 4-5 pieces (optional);
- raisins – 15 grams (optional);
- vanillin-on the tip of the knife (optional);
- lemon zest-from a third of the fruit (optional);
- sugar (liquid honey) – 150 grams;
- water – 100 ml.
The recipe is from hawthorn
1. Put the hawthorn berries in a jar for infusing. Add the prunes, raisins, vanilla and lemon zest (before removing the lemon, scald with boiling water and wipe dry to remove the preservative from the surface).
2. Pour in the alcohol base. Mix well. Seal tightly, insist in a dark, warm place for 20 days. Shake once every 3 days.
3. Filter the ready-made hawthorn infusion through several layers of gauze or a kitchen sieve, lightly squeeze the berries.
4. Mix water and sugar (honey) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cook for 5 minutes on low heat, removing the foam from the surface, then cool to room temperature.
In the case of honey, heat the syrup no higher than 40°C and mix until smooth, so that the useful substances are preserved.
5. Mix the syrup obtained at the previous stage with the infusion. Pour into storage bottles, seal tightly.
6. Before tasting, leave the liquor in the refrigerator or basement for 5 days to stabilize the taste.
If there is a sediment or turbidity in storage, filter through cotton wool.
The shelf life of home-made hawthorn liqueur is up to 3 years. Fortress – 23-25%.