There are two ways to make a liqueur from honeysuckle at home: ferment the berries or infuse them with strong alcohol. We will consider both options. Each recipe has its own advantages and disadvantages, but a delicious drink will turn out in any case.
For the preparation of liqueur, ripe berries of any variety are suitable. It is desirable that the fruits are large and sweet. First, you need to carefully sort out the honeysuckle, removing too small, moldy and rotten berries that can spoil the taste of the drink.
Honeysuckle liqueur on vodka
A quick simple recipe in which berries (fresh, dried or frozen) are infused with a strong alcoholic base, followed by the addition of sugar syrup. Instead of vodka, alcohol (40-45%) and moonshine are suitable.
- vodka – 0.5 liters;
- berries of a honeysuckle – 150-200 grams;
- sugar – 50-100 ml;
- water – 50-100 ml.
The amount of sugar depends on the initial sweetness of the berries and personal preferences. It is advisable to mix water with sugar in equal proportions. The more syrup added, the lower the strength of the liqueur.
1. Carefully crush the berries with your hands, without splashing the juice. Put it in a jar.
2. Add the vodka, stir, and close tightly.
3. Insist 5-6 days in a dark place with room temperature, shake once a day.
4. Mix sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat, removing the foam. Cool the finished syrup to room temperature.
5. Strain the honeysuckle infusion through a sieve or a couple of layers of gauze, squeeze the cake well. Mix with sugar syrup.
6. If the liquid is cloudy, you can filter it through cotton wool.
7. Pour the drink into storage bottles, seal tightly.
Shelf life-up to 5 years. Strength (with a minimum amount of water and sugar) – 30-32%.
Honeysuckle liqueur without vodka
A more sophisticated technology that resembles the preparation of homemade wine. The finished liqueur has a lower strength than in the first recipe (maximum 12%), but the taste is softer.
- honeysuckle – 2 kg;
- sugar – 100 grams.
For the preparation of honeysuckle liqueur without vodka, the berries can not be washed, on their surface there are wild yeast, thanks to which fermentation will begin.
1. Crush the honeysuckle with your hands.
2. Put the resulting mass in a container with a wide neck, for example, an enameled pan. Add sugar and mix well.
3. To protect against insects, tie the neck with gauze. Transfer the container to a dark place with room temperature. Leave on for 2-3 days, stirring every 10 to 12 hours. After 8-20 hours, signs of fermentation should appear: foam on the surface, sizzling and a slight sour smell. This means that everything is going fine.
4. Pour the wort into the fermentation tank. Install a water seal or medical glove. Transfer the container to a dark place with a temperature of 18-27°C.
5. Depending on the temperature, yeast activity and sugar content in the berries, the fermentation of honeysuckle liqueur lasts 20-50 days. Then the release of gas from the hydraulic seal stops (the glove is blown off). The foam disappears from the surface.
6. After the fermentation is complete, filter the liqueur through 3-4 layers of cheesecloth, squeeze the cake well, it is no longer needed.
7. Pour the drink into bottles, seal tightly. To move the brandy in the cellar (basement) or in a refrigerator. Leave for 3-6 months for aging, which improves the taste.
Shelf life in a dark place at a temperature of 6-12°C – 3 years. Strength of 8-12%.