Carrot tincture has a pleasant golden color and is remembered for its original taste without “vegetable” notes in the aroma and aftertaste. A great option for cold and hot meat snacks.
For cooking, you can take any variety of carrots, as long as the fruits are without signs of rot and mold (problem areas can be cut out). The more fragrant and sweeter the carrot, the better.
As an alcoholic base, vodka, sugar or grain moonshine without smell (double distillation) or diluted ethyl alcohol is suitable.
Recipe for carrot tincture
- vodka (moonshine, alcohol 40-45%) – 0.5 l;
- carrots-400 g;
- dill seeds – a third of a teaspoon (optional);
- honey (sugar) – 1 teaspoon + to taste.
Dill enriches the taste, but makes the tincture a little tougher, so it is advisable to add fresh buckwheat or flower honey to the composition for softness, in extreme cases, beet sugar is suitable.
The technology of preparation
1. Peel the carrots, grate them on a coarse grater, then place them in an even layer (no thicker than 1.5 cm) on a clean, dry baking sheet covered with parchment or a silicone mat. Leave to dry in the oven for 2 hours at a temperature of 70-80 °C. After 60 minutes of drying, turn the carrots to the other side and leave the oven door ajar for 5 minutes to remove moisture. Cool the resulting carrot chips to room temperature.
The main task of drying is to remove excess moisture and decompose all the substances that give an unpleasant vegetable taste, so the carrots will not be perfectly dry (it takes 6-8 hours), but this is enough to prepare the tincture.
2. Place dried carrots and dill seeds in a glass container for infusing, pour in an alcoholic base (vodka, alcohol or moonshine), add 1 teaspoon of honey or sugar, mix and seal tightly.
3. Infuse for 7 days in a dark place at room temperature. Shake once a day.
4. Strain the ready-made homemade carrot tincture through 2-3 layers of gauze, squeeze the pulp dry.
5. Try the drink, the desire to sweeten with sugar to taste. To reduce the strength, you can make sugar syrup (mix water and sugar in equal parts, bring to a boil, boil for 3-4 minutes, removing the foam, then cool to room temperature and add the finished syrup to the tincture).
6. Pour the carrot tincture into storage bottles. Transfer to the refrigerator or basement, leave for 5-6 days to stabilize the taste.
When aging, a precipitate may appear, this is normal, and for transparency, it is enough to filter the drink through cotton wool.
The shelf life of tincture on carrots is up to 2 years. Fortress – 32-24% vol.